In a hospital in northern Ireland, an infection has been diagnosed after a mosquito was infected by a man who had bitten a nurse.

The infection is being treated at the Northeast Veterinary Hospital in Cork.

Dr Mark McGowan said the patient was in a critical condition when he was admitted last week.

He said it was unclear whether the mosquito had been previously treated or had been in the patient’s home.

Dr McGowan told the Irish Independent: “It was a little bit like an insect bite, but it’s been treated.”

It was just a little over a week ago and it’s in the intensive care unit where we’re treating it and we’re very happy with it.

“The man has been a patient at the hospital for a number of years and he had bitten several other patients.”

He is now a bit more alert and he is aware of the fact that there’s an infection in his system.

“I don’t know how long he has been in that condition and we are going to be monitoring him closely.”

We have been looking at how the virus is spread, but I think the best way to do that is to get in close to the patient and give them a dose of medication and if that does not work, they can go to the clinic and get treatment.

“They have been given antibiotics to combat the infection.”

The infection has also been brought into the hospital’s paediatric unit and Dr McGowan said it would be a few days before the patient is discharged.

The virus has been circulating in the Irish Republic and is believed to have originated in eastern Europe, but has spread rapidly to Northern Ireland, where it has been particularly devastating.

Tags: